View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently 20 Aug 2017 19:14

Reply to topic  [ 284 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 29  Next
MLJames -- Skeletons From My Closet 
Commander
Commander

Location: Just north of where the aliens always seem to land.
Over the past few weeks I’ve been going through my old drawings during times when I didn’t have the time (or the energy) to work on either of my current major projects. I’ve been trying to decide which of these relics had enough points of interest to be worth redoing on the computer. While selecting the ones worth salvaging I also went paging through the reference file of engines, bridges, and hull components I did about 15 years ago. Most of these are pretty mundane, but there are a few that are interesting enough that I feel like letting you folks take a look at them (and laugh at wherever necessary :D ). That’s what this topic is going to be about; revising old chestnuts and looking at things I did (or planned to do). Most of these won’t get the full bells and whistles things like Ptolemy or Momsen got, and updates will be sandwiched in and around the big projects.

First up is a reworking I’ve been using to blow off steam whenever I’ve gotten too burned out on other things. I’ve been fooling around with it off and on for quite a while, and I just finished it. Back in ’89 I was rereading SOTSF, and for some reason the line about the LN-52 providing the highest speed the older ships could handle struck me. I’d never seen a ship designed to use that nacelle to its highest potential, so I made one. Not really spectacular in terms of design; she was just a Connie II with the older engines, but I made a whole class of them.

When I decided to tackle her digitally, I did some rethinking about her, and I concluded she would work better as a one-off experimental ship, testing both the engine and some of the new design features. I shifted her backward in time about ten years, and I also renamed her, giving her the next name and number off the TM heavy cruiser list after the Achernars. So, here is Shahr:

http://img339.imageshack.us/img339/2613 ... anview.jpg
http://img850.imageshack.us/img850/4370 ... deview.jpg
http://img341.imageshack.us/img341/2858 ... owview.jpg

Aside from the engines, she’s still mostly Connie II in terms of design, although there’s a smidgen of Phase II tech and styling here and there. I didn’t want her to be too advanced, so I deleted some of the features (like the thrusters), and I relocated the RCS mounts to the x- and y-axis points. Just for the heck of it, since I wasn’t going to use the dorsal launch mount, I moved the torpedo tubes to their location on the TOS ship. It was also fun dressing her out in the old-style livery.

The only problem with finishing Shahr is now I’ve got to find another safety valve project to work on. Ah, well, such is life.

16 Mar 2012 05:10
Site Admin
Site Admin

I really like it. It (sort of) does something I'm falling in love with at the moment-- takes TMP and "TOS-ifies" it.

I can't believe what some of you guys are coming up with these days. With the number of people producing designs and images that so easily fit into the FRS "style", I could see there being enough material before long to format and put up as pdf issues. I still have to get through some personal stuff, and I still need to find the website a new home... But other than that, things are looking good! :? Image

Mr. Spock is dead. Live long, Mr. Spock.

16 Mar 2012 11:13
Profile WWW
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

I love the "phase one-and-a-half" heavy cruiser! Dropping that torpedo neck launcher makes it a very sleek design, and .. it just seems immediately obvious that such a ship existed :)

16 Mar 2012 12:01
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

One word, awesome. :D :D

16 Mar 2012 17:44
Commander
Commander

aridas wrote:
I really like it. It (sort of) does something I'm falling in love with at the moment-- takes TMP and "TOS-ifies" it.

Thanks!. I think it would look a lot more like that if I had the skills and computing power to pull off what monodox has been doing with Santee. I'm afraid you'll have to settle for something a lot less impressive to give you an idea how I see her:

http://img834.imageshack.us/img834/7613 ... eview2.jpg

I'm not sure how close the color pattern on the nacelle is to what it should "really" look like. I based it off the instruction sheet for a conversion kit to turn the 1/1000 scale TOS ship into the Endeavor. May not be exact, but it's in the ballpark at any rate.

Harry wrote:
I love the "phase one-and-a-half" heavy cruiser! Dropping that torpedo neck launcher makes it a very sleek design, and .. it just seems immediately obvious that such a ship existed :)

I tried not to overload her with too many TMP-era details. The hull design was going to be enough, and also I wanted to give Star Fleet R&D a little more time to come up with the new launchers :). When I cooked her up twenty-odd years ago every design I had seen with the LN-52 was either a refit or, like Kepler, was built with largely pre-linear components. I figured somewhere along the line there had to be a ship built to exploit the engine's full capabilities. Combining it with the Connie II design styling seemed like a pretty good match.

I don't know if there's really enough room for a whole class of sisters for her in the timeline, though, which is why I decided to turn her into a test bed and move her launch date back to a little before the Enterprise refits began. The Fleet report at the beginning of SOTSF Vol. 1 lists a heavy cruiser we didn't see in the book (Ashanti), but the way the list of heavy cruiser classes is presented implies that that ship is fairly late in the movie era, too late for Shahr's design to fit the bill. I really think her particular design works best as an experimental vessel, but I still like her blend of hull styling and engine. aridas, is there room in the FRS world for a combo like that? A frigate, maybe? Thanks to my transport project, I've got a Connie II frigate hull nearly complete (hint, hint :D ).

17 Mar 2012 06:47
Site Admin
Site Admin

Maybe an immediate predecessor to Wanderer's light cruiser, Shenendoah? Or a near contemporary cruiser? The modular fleet chart would give an idea of how the hulls and nacelles would be modified to achieve those smaller-than-CH types. I don't think I've ever seen anyone do a short form LN-52.

Same for the frigates. A light or medium frigate design would be very interesting if it found a middle ground between the 2230-40s Surya/Coventry details (like the pylons, which are evolving towards their Avenger form as you go from Surya to Coventry) and the later Avenger/Knox look.

Mr. Spock is dead. Live long, Mr. Spock.

17 Mar 2012 09:45
Profile WWW
Commander
Commander

It might be nice to see the nacelles upside down--although I have actually warmed to that look...

17 Mar 2012 16:41
Commander
Commander

aridas wrote:
Maybe an immediate predecessor to Wanderer's light cruiser, Shenendoah? Or a near contemporary cruiser? The modular fleet chart would give an idea of how the hulls and nacelles would be modified to achieve those smaller-than-CH types. I don't think I've ever seen anyone do a short form LN-52.

Same for the frigates. A light or medium frigate design would be very interesting if it found a middle ground between the 2230-40s Surya/Coventry details (like the pylons, which are evolving towards their Avenger form as you go from Surya to Coventry) and the later Avenger/Knox look.

The curve on the upper edge would make a shortened form of the LN-52 a bit more of a challenge than the circumferential engines, but it shouldn't be that hard to do. Nor would it be difficult to do a cruiser-scale version of Shahr. I did a down-and-dirty version of its secondary hull for the modular fleet topic, so I'd just need to clean it up and smooth out the lines. Around Christmastime I did some computations for a set of saucers for each design era from the FRS, based on the modular chart, and I made myself a table of saucer widths from just the core all the way up to six-ring saucers. For the reference point on the proporions, I used an image on page 113 of the Star Trek Sketchbook; it's a hull pressure compartments graphic, and the saucer has a central core and four rings. I think I might tackle this one.

Considering the amount of work I've done cooking up the 4-ring Connie II-style frigate hull, I'd love to find a way to use her in the FRS fleet as she is. Based on what you said, though, I'm wondering if an LN-52 powered medium frigate might not be better served by a hull based on Todd's Decatur prototype saucer or the Phase II primary hull. The Phase II struts would definitely fit your idea of a middle ground between the design eras. They're more advanced than the TOS era ones, but they're neither as robust or ornate as the TMP design.

18 Mar 2012 07:45
Commander
Commander

Just a brief question on the Consitution II saucer underside. It seems just a bit flatter than Tikopai--perhaps based on different Phase II artwork from Mike Minor, similar to this:

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/LV ... bedwebsite

Tikopai is based on the model of the Enterprise we saw on the cover of Starlogs enlarged edition of SPACESHIPS
http://www.amazon.com/Spaceships-Enlarg ... 25&sr=8-14

Now I've seen several versions of the Phase II nacelle. One version is almost the refit nacelle but not quite. Constitution II nacelles are based on the Phase II Brick Price nacelles that Shaw provided.

It might be nice to see Tikopai with a blend between the two phase II nacelles...

19 Mar 2012 16:03
Commander
Commander

The shallowness of the lower decks on the Constitution II saucer are a holdover from Matt Jefferies' Phase II design. Its primary hull was laid out much the same way, which can easily be seen on the cleaned-up schematics Shaw produced.

I spent Sunday working on the transport/tug project (getting the layout of the underside of the frigate saucer for the failed prototype is proving to be a pain in the neck), but Monday evening I started laying out the saucer for the medium cruiser version of Shahr. I also did a first pass at resizing the LN-52 to fit her as per the modular chart. Here it is, first by itself and then compared to the full-size nacelle:

http://img31.imageshack.us/img31/7836/l ... tboard.jpg
http://img215.imageshack.us/img215/1227 ... arison.jpg

20 Mar 2012 06:15
Reply to topic   [ 284 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 29  Next