View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently 20 Aug 2017 19:09

Reply to topic  [ 284 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29  Next
MLJames -- Skeletons From My Closet 
Commander
Commander

Location: Just north of where the aliens always seem to land.
I’ve finished off the third configuration of Khafre. I couldn't remember if I'd posted them or not over on Treknographics, but in any case I'm using my new Photobucket account. Here's the album link:

http://s87.photobucket.com/user/MLJames ... Khafre%203

If you open the link, you'll see two albums included; each of these two sub-configurations of her tests a different variation of the same engine. I’ve been calling the engine the Dennison/Westinghouse LN-82. The album labeled "SCNN Version" was used to evaluate what I've been calling a third-generation non-networked design (this assumes that the LN-52 is generation 1 and the engines for the Vulcan shuttle sled in TMP are generation 2). The second version (the one labeled "Integrated Version") was fitted with the LN-82A. Since it was designed to work with an integrated intermix assembly, it has no need for the onboard reactor or fuel storage facility and is therefore slightly more streamlined. My assumption is that they both are comparable in speed and acceleration to the LN-64B; however, the SCNN version has a slight disadvantage as to how long she can maintain higher warp factors.

I’ve re-uploaded the drawings for the first two configurations of Khafre; here are the album links:

http://s87.photobucket.com/user/MLJames ... Khafre%201
http://s87.photobucket.com/user/MLJames ... Khafre%202

And for Khufu:

http://s87.photobucket.com/user/MLJames ... /Khufu%201
http://s87.photobucket.com/user/MLJames ... /Khufu%202
http://s87.photobucket.com/user/MLJames ... /Khufu%203

While I was working on this, I rediscovered that I never actually finished all the views for the second and third iterations of Khufu. I’ve labeled the drawings as WIPs wherever it applies. I’ve also put together two comparison shots of the three Giza ships, one for their first configurations and one for their second. You can find these in the first and second Khufu folders, respectively.

17 Mar 2015 02:38
Commander
Commander

This was something I started working on a few months ago, which I set aside after I injured my leg in a car accident and couldn't sit comfortably in front of my computer for a while. The original pen-and-ink version of this dates to the middle of March, 1991. I had an idea back then to try to lay out a couple of failed competitors to the Federation class' original specifications. Since the write-up on the dreadnought specifically states Arbing and Lidde came up with the concept of mounting the third nacelle to the saucer, I had the problem of coming up with two competing ways of having all three engines mounted to the secondary hull.

The first one of these is Deneva. The three drawings I'm posting tonight show her the way I laid her out twenty-four years ago.

Plan View: http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k160/ ... n_View.png
Side View: http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k160/ ... e_View.png
Bow View: http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k160/ ... w_View.png

While I was working on this, I took the opportunity to confirm something I'd suspected for quite some time: that the positioning of the center engine here just doesn't work. I originally thought that there would be enough room on the impulse engine mount for the exhaust ports to clear the nacelle housing, but this turns out not to be the case. I used that unworkable placement for both Deneva and her as-yet unseen competitor Yamato, so I've been working on a viable alternative that would allow me to keep the center engine mounted onto the secondary hull strongback. I think I've got it worked out, at least as far as Deneva is concerned, but I'm also working on an option that essentially flips the engine orientation, putting the center engine on the keel. I've also decided to relocate the dreadnought proposals into different design eras for variety's sake (I originally had Federation and the two failed proposals firmly set in the Achernar time period), and I've finished the revised saucer for Constitution-era version of Deneva. I've got a few irons in the fire to finish prior to returning to this, but I've done some preliminary work on her secondary hull. It'll probably be a couple of weeks before I'll be able to dive back into this one.

29 Mar 2015 01:46
Site Admin
Site Admin

The issue I have with these approaches reminds me of debates I had with Todd back then. I think that third nacelle has to make sense either by making thr saucer another warp-capable tactical unit along with the secondary hull, or as a warp capable lifeboat, or as an enhancement to the function of the other two nacelles. If the third nacelle isn't attached to the saucer, it must be an enhancement to the function of the other two. There is no reason that can't be the case, and in the context of the total available power for weapons, stealth, etc, it is clearly an enhancement wherever it is. But it has an impact on how we think of the function of these nacelles. If three are better, why not always use three? From the perspective of nacelles being on the gravity plane of the saucer, it offers an interesting option of cycling between the wild ride of two even with the saucer to one above or below. But then that raises the question of why not four? :)

Mr. Spock is dead. Live long, Mr. Spock.

29 Mar 2015 08:36
Profile WWW
Commander
Commander

the other problem with this configuration is that the primary hull and interconnecting dorsal block the matter intake on the nacelle.
it may be possible to have the free-floating Hydrogen "flow" around the hull to the nacelle,but seems convoluted.
this was (will be) one of the reasons that Menahga failed to meet her expectations.
if you do a movie-era ship this reason also becomes more important than for a TV era ship.

if you go with 2 up / 1 down configuration ,the problem there is the secondary hull.
this puts the nacelle very low down a slender middle. (see USS Princeton ~ Battle of Wolf 359)
one possible solution is to use a Declaration Class Cruiser configuration with the secondary hull above the saucer.

this problem is eliminated if you use a non-cruiser type hull like Komsomosk.

(just food for thought)

29 Mar 2015 09:37
Commander
Commander

I just love that stretch secondary hull.

22 May 2015 17:24
Commander
Commander

I don't have any artwork ready for upload quite yet (haven't converted my WIPs to image files), but I have been working on the revised version of Deneva for the past couple of weeks. I'm currently finalizing the secondary hull. As I mentioned back at the end of March, this version is supposed to be set in the original Constitution era, but I wanted to give it a slightly different flavor. The secondary hull (and the saucer as well) draw more inspiration from the Casimiro plans for the TOS ship than from the FRS drawings; I wanted the ship to feel familiar but with a slightly different angle, so to speak. The engines, on the other hand, are PB-31s, modified to make them a bit longer.

I've got the basic layout of the lower hull more or less worked out on paper, but one of the things I'm still nailing down is the engine placement. I made a couple of passes on trying to keep the center nacelle close to its original position before deciding it just doesn't work there to my satisfaction. I've decided to take a different tack, one rooted in the idea of moving her design work backwards thirty-five to forty years to the beginning of the 23rd Century. The interaction of nacelle placement and the saucer gravity plane might not have been fully worked out at that point in Fleet design history. I'm going with the idea that Deneva's nacelle placement is something of a hangover from the ringship era. I'm going to mount the engines to the lower hull with radial symmetry, each nacelle lying the same distance outward from the center of the engineering hull but 120 degrees offset from the others to either side. I need to do a bit of experimenting with that distance, though. I have the feeling that whatever distance I come up with, the outboard engines are going to be closer to the vessel centerline than I originally laid out; might make an interesting factor in the Fleet's decision not to build her. We'll have to see what I come up with.

Once I get this one done, it'll be on to the second unbuilt dreadnought, Yamato. That one's going to be a bit of a mix of Bonhomme Richard and Achernar-era technology, since it's supposed to be a late-FYW era concept.

03 Jun 2015 03:03
Commander
Commander

looking forward to Yamato

03 Jun 2015 20:14
Commander
Commander

I'd like to see--maybe, two long nacelles up top and a very short nacelle under the sec hull--to balance things out.

I just love raised engines--it gives that V for Victory stance.

07 Jun 2015 17:34
Commander
Commander

I'm getting ready to move to a new apartment in the near future, and I've reached a point in the process where it just might be necessary for me to put my computer into temporary storage. I doubt I'll be able to finish the revisions to Deneva before that happens, but I wanted to get some of the views as nearly complete as possible to give you all something to look over. I've managed to get pretty far along with WIPs for the side and stern views (I needed those to work out the measurements for the ends of the nacelle struts):

http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k160/ ... %20WIP.png
http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k160/ ... rn_WIP.png

I also knocked together a couple of comparison shots using the portside WIP. The first compares it with the original version I did of Deneva:

http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k160/ ... Comp_1.png

The second compares Deneva with Federation:
http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k160/ ... Comp_2.png

The ringship-inspired engine placement came out looking a little bit odder than I expected it to. However, seeing as she's supposed to be a design that didn't quite make the cut, having her look out of the ordinary is actually an asset, IMO. I still have to do a little bit of fine tuning on the secondary hull, mostly with the struts for the outboard engines. While I was banging out the views, I found that aligning the struts with the radial connecting the center of the hull with that of the engine creates a conflict where the upper end of the strut projects into the trench on the nacelle's inboard face. It isn't really necessary for the strut to follow that radial; it was just easier to do so while I was nailing down the position of the outer engines. I may also shift the struts a bit farther aft on the secondary hull, although that means a bit more work to recompute the attachment points for the other views. I'll have to see.

14 Jun 2015 02:06
Commander
Commander

Still going through my file of unposted images from the last few months of work. For today, I have a couple of sets I put together just for the fun of it. (I'd been tired of what I'd been working on and wanted to fool around with things I could do pretty easily with the pieces I already had built.)

The first is Monoceros, off of the Recognition Chart. A long time ago I started doing this in pencil, but I never finished it. Good thing, too, as I only had one nacelle on her instead of two. :oops: From the layout of the silhouette, it appeared that there were some extra structures on top and bottom of the rear of the saucer. For the heck of it, I reworked these as a variation on the Coronado engineering module and used this structure as a mounting point for the warp engines. I don't claim this is the true layout for the design in the real FRS world. I was just playing around with things.

http://s87.photobucket.com/user/MLJames ... /Monoceros

The second set comes out of something I did on paper quite some time ago. The write-up for Surya in SOTSF1 noted that initial design work on her had been done on the Detroyat-class ship Resolution. (I actually did a computer version of that several years ago; I never posted it because I never got the ok from Nascence to do so.) At the same time I was working on the paper version, I couldn't help noticing that the Surya design had been revised from the way I first saw her on the Avenger Development sheet. It was pretty obvious that the revised frigate's saucer and bridge were based on Bonhomme Richard rather than Achernar tech. Given that the history of the class in SOTSF1 had her being launched years before Achernar tech evolved, I decided to redraw Surya as she might have looked in 2242 using Bonhomme Richard designs. I think she turned out pretty well. Take a look:

http://s87.photobucket.com/user/MLJames ... /Surya%201

20 Sep 2016 21:26
Reply to topic   [ 284 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29  Next