View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently 24 Jul 2017 14:27

Reply to topic  [ 284 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29  Next
MLJames -- Skeletons From My Closet 
Commander
Commander

zirconic wrote:
publiusr wrote:
The deeper keeled Balson secondary hull here:
http://www.shipschematics.net/startrek/ ... n_reft.jpg

--would balance out the extra saucer decks you have in your saucer. Lower standard Federation refit nacelle supports work best there.

I think that deeper keel looks wrong, or at least the extra thick lip below the hangar bay. It makes the thing look blocky, not elegant, like it's made from bricks.

The nacelles are the worst offenders on that design--that and the photon torp tubes under the bridge--even if that is what FJ wanted and is used on SFB.

The Secondary hull isn't my favorite either, but the new dreadnaught saucer with extra decks above demands to be mirrored in the secondary hull below for balance.

Now something else that came to mind. With the taller, thicker saucers above, there may not be clearance for standard torpedo tubes. This is why I wanted a five ring saucer that was no taller than the refit, so you can get away with the standard Balson/Federation type secondary hull and tube arrangement.

As it is, the refit's lower sensor tubes aren't that far above the line of sight for existing tubes

Now with the dreadnought--well, that is supposed to be ugly. There, omit the saucer dorsal mount tubes altogether and use the tube design we saw in Excelsior in the movies, only mounted in recesses in the saucer.

These might be teardrop shaped tubes both to the foreward starboard and port on the upper end of the saucer, and two tubes mounted on that lower jaw on that shuttlebay.

In closing, a Command cruiser needs to maintain the refits grace and high nacelles, with the dreadnought being lumpy.

22 Jun 2013 13:37
Commander
Commander

Location: Just north of where the aliens always seem to land.
Nothing new in terms of artwork to put up, but I've been thinking about a place to post my artwork (and any back story notes) after next week. I've set up a page on DeviantArt. There's nothing on it right now (still working on something old/new), but, until we can find a new place to talk about the stuff from here, my new work will be on:

MLJames3048.deviantart.com.

10 Jul 2013 15:52
Commander
Commander

MLJames wrote:
Nothing new in terms of artwork to put up, but I've been thinking about a place to post my artwork (and any back story notes) after next week. I've set up a page on DeviantArt. There's nothing on it right now (still working on something old/new), but, until we can find a new place to talk about the stuff from here, my new work will be on:

MLJames3048.deviantart.com.

Hi MLJames Good to know I always enjoy your work. looking forward to seeing more.

10 Jul 2013 18:45

I may check that option too.

Mark

Northern lights passed by then they were gone. And as old stars would die so the new ones were born. Ever on I sailed celestial ways. And in the light of my years shone the rest of my days. Those who know, will they help us grow, to one day be Starriders.

10 Jul 2013 19:41
Commander
Commander

Location: Just north of where the aliens always seem to land.
This will most likely be the last post of new art I'll be doing here. It's an engine WIP. Back in May, when I was posting some of my old pen-and-ink drawings while my computer was in storage, I put up a couple of views of a cruiser I called Andromeda. To refresh your memories, this was had the side and bow views:

http://imageshack.us/a/img849/6331/andromeda2.png

Although this was a medium cruiser, I had originally wanted to make her a light cruiser, but I couldn't work out a good way to downsize her back then. Thanks to aridas and his Modular Fleet, I've got a better grasp on how to do it properly, so in addition to making a computer version of the original drawing, I'm also going to turn her into a proper light cruiser. I've decided to shift her a bit backward in time, from Bonhomme Richard to Constitution-era, so the first thing I've been doing is nailing down final versions of the saucer and engines from that time. Today's WIP shows the outboard and inboard views of the light-cruiser-scaled version of the PB-31, bracketing the full-size version:

http://imageshack.us/a/img855/4102/rqbr.png

Some of the details on the inboard view are a little askew. Apparently I nudged some of them on the drawing as I was copying the nacelle onto the WIP; I didn't notice it till I uploaded it onto imageshack. The end caps on the nacelle have the little module that was on the First Pilot version of the TOS ship, just for a little variety's sake.

A little something to note about what I'll be putting up over on DA. I'm only going to post plain versions of the newer ships there. I'll still be doing FRS-style pages of the final ships, but I won't be posting them. If you want to see those (which will be in 150dpi resolution, BTW), I'll be happy to add you to my email list. Just email me your address via the button on the forum. DO NOT PM me. I don't have internet access on Sundays, and if the forum goes away before Monday, I'll never see your message.

13 Jul 2013 13:31
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Here is my email address: markj@wtechlink.us

Thank you so much,

Mark Jaeger

13 Jul 2013 15:56
Commander
Commander

MLJames wrote:
A little something to note about what I'll be putting up over on DA. I'm only going to post plain versions of the newer ships there. I'll still be doing FRS-style pages of the final ships, but I won't be posting them. If you want to see those (which will be in 150dpi resolution, BTW), I'll be happy to add you to my email list. Just email me your address via the button on the forum. DO NOT PM me. I don't have internet access on Sundays, and if the forum goes away before Monday, I'll never see your message.

I'm a dunce, so what is DA again.--deviantart--that's right.

I hope you will be posting here too:
http://treknographics101.prophpbb.com/

I think your drawings are among the best out there

Here is my e-mail
publiusr@hotmail.com

14 Jul 2013 17:20
Commander
Commander

I hope you will be doing more work on the Balson. I was really looking forward to that. Library filter blocks deviant art.

14 Jun 2014 16:38
Commander
Commander

I would also prefer you not use DeviantArt either.
that site usually crashes my computer or just runs really slow or just doesn't show me anything.
(I'm guessing alot of junk coding)

15 Jun 2014 15:36
Commander
Commander

I hate that and Facebook.

15 Jun 2014 18:41
Reply to topic   [ 284 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29  Next